Could the Health Risks of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields be Worse than Asbestos, Smoking, and Obesity Combined?
I am not one for conspiracy theories nor do I indulge in apocalyptic rhetoric. A quick look at history will tell you that there are a scant few well-documented conspiracies in American history. Apocalypticism is a well-known religious philosophy and a much too common theme in recent Hollywood movies. Despite many significant setbacks, humanity continues to thrive.
Cover-ups, however, are much more common. Asbestos companies and big tobacco knew long before the general public did that their products caused cancer. Obesity is an example of a well-documented threat. It is estimated that 3-4 million people die from the complications of obesity every year. By way of the following summary, you will be introduced to the potential threats of the exponentially increasing levels of pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) we encounter daily.
I was introduced to this information by a colleague who was ringing the apocalyptic alarm bell when he asked for my opinion. Begrudgingly, I looked at the current literature, and if 10% of what you are about to read to is true, then we need to step back, take a deep breath, and study the potential risks in detail. The whitepaper I am summarizing below has 289 peer-reviewed scientific studies outlining the staggering health consequences we may soon be facing. I am not an environmental medicine specialist, but I have enough medical knowledge to understand the very distinct possibilities of a looming health crisis.
The following is a brief overview of a 90-page whitepaper written by Martin L. Pall, Ph.D., who is a professor emeritus of biochemistry and basic medical sciences at the University of Washington. He is an outspoken public health advocate addressing the hazards of electromagnetic fields (EMF/PEMF). The digital age has surrounded us with multiple types of toxic energy systems. In his paper, Dr. Pall gives a thorough overview of the science, including hundreds of peer-reviewed scientific articles. He considers EMFs to be the greatest health risk of our generation. He does not mince words when he says that this has the potential to be an existential crisis. There are clearly some eye-opening findings in his report. At the end of this article, a brief summary of the documented effects of EMFs will be cited. Humanity Upgrade will be posting a more exhaustive summary as well as Dr. Pall’s full white paper on its site, as well.
Harmful effects of EMF:
There is a massive amount of incontrovertible literature, providing a high level of scientific certainty, for eight pathophysiological effects caused by non-thermal microwave frequency exposures (EMF – electromagnetic frequency). Each of these biologic effects is identified and thoroughly substantiated by multiple peer-reviewed scientific articles on each specific category (see Dr. Pall’s bibliography). This literature provides an overwhelming body of evidence for the existence of serious and permanent effects of EMFs on the human body. The following is a brief outline of the eight major harmful effects:
1. EMFs attack your nervous systems: central (brain and spinal cord) and peripheral (nerves in the body, arms, and legs). The effects on the brain are of great concern. PEMF insults are leading to pervasive and well-documented neurological, neuropsychiatric and oncologic (brain cancer) effects. Many of these effects are cumulative and irreversible.
2. EMFs attack your endocrine (hormonal) systems. What makes humans functionally different from single-celled creatures is our nervous and endocrine systems. The consequences of the disrupting of these vital regulatory systems is immense. For example, neuroendocrine hormones and insulin levels drop with prolonged EMF exposure. This is thought to be caused by endocrine exhaustion, much like a person who is under constant mental, emotional and physical stress.
3. EMFs produce oxidative stress and free radical damage, which is central to all chronic diseases.
4. EMFS attack your DNA (methylation as well as single and double-strand breaks). This extreme level of damage is a precursor to cancer. DNA changes in germ cell lines (sperm and egg cells) produce mutations in future generations.
5. EMFs produce elevated levels of premature cell death (apoptosis). These events are especially important in causing both neurodegenerative diseases and infertility.
6. EMFs lower male and female fertility, sex hormones, and libido. They cause increased levels of spontaneous abortion and attack the DNA in sperm cells.
7. EMFs have been proven to have direct effects on your cells through a mechanism called voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCCs). EMFs force excessive amounts of calcium into your cells, which is very toxic. There is also a secondary mechanism called calcium signaling. Excess calcium overstimulates this mechanism causing normal systems to function abnormally.
8. EMFs are cancer-causing (carcinogenic). There are 15 different mechanisms by which they attack the cells and cause cancer.
There is also a substantial body of literature indicating that EMFs may cause other negative effects. These include life-threatening cardiac effects, very early onset dementias (age 30), and contribute to digital dementias. Exposures in utero and shortly after birth may cause ADHD and autism.
These effects are produced through the downstream consequences of the primary mechanism of action: voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCCs). The extraordinary sensitivity of the VGCC sensors to the forces of the EMFs tells us that the current safety guidelines allow us to be exposed to EMF levels that are potentially 7.2 million times too high! This level of sensitivity is predicted by basic physics and biochemistry. Physics and biology are pointing to the same mechanism of action of non-thermal EMFs.
These various effects are of deep concern, especially when one considers that several of them are cumulative and eventually irreversible. It would not be an overstatement to say that this could become an existential crisis. There is substantial evidence for the cumulative nature and eventual irreversibility of the neurological/neuropsychiatric effects, reproductive effects, mutational effects, cardiac effects, and some hormonal effects of EMFs. Since 1997, sperm counts have dropped by more than 50% throughout technologically advanced countries. It is probable that the vast majority of the population in these countries has already been substantially impacted. This same conclusion can be made based on the widespread nature of the neuropsychiatric effects in those countries. Both of these effects will get worse without an increase in current exposures, due to their cumulative nature and irreversibility.
I expect we will see a crash in human reproduction almost to zero as happened in the Magras and Xenos mouse study which I estimate to occur within about 5 years, without any increases in our exposures. Obviously 4G and 5G will make the situation much worse. Similarly, I expect that the deterioration in brain function that we are already seeing will seal our fate if we fail to act rapidly and vigorously. Our collective brain function may become completely incapable of dealing with such a mega-crisis situation. – Dr. Pall
It can and will be argued that many effects of these may not develop as Dr. Pall is anticipating. These effects, however, are based on the most current and best available evidence. Dr. Pall responds with the following:
However, when we have substantial risk of multiple existential threats to every single technologically advanced country on earth, failure to act vigorously means there is a very high probability of complete destruction of these societies. And the chaos which would inevitably ensue, in a world that still has nuclear weapons, may well lead to extinction. In the face of these types of risks, the only reasonable course is to move with great vigor to stop new exposures and lower current exposures. One can still access the Internet, using wired connections. And we can lower cell phone tower and cell phone radiation substantially. Smart meters, if needed, can work via wired connections. – Dr. Pall
A Brief Summary of Effects:
- The most concerning effects of EMFs are on the central nervous system, heart, and reproductive organs. These effects can be studied more easily, quickly and precisely. Cancer is a concern; however, documenting a direct causal relationship due to latency is extremely difficult. It took as long as 60 years for solid cancer rates to peak after the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear attacks.
- Electronic low frequency (ELF) has been linked to childhood leukemia and brain tumors. It may also have long-term effects causing leukemia and brain tumors in later life with much lower than average survival rates.
- Ten-year cell phone usage caused an increase in acoustic neuromas (nonmalignant tumors of your inner ear) – 30% increase on both sides and 240% on the same side (310% with cordless phones).
- A 200% increase in malignant brain tumors has been reported in over a dozen studies. Hi-grade malignant gliomas increased 220% on both sides and 470% on the dominant usage side.
- Infertility – sperm counts are down more than 50% in technologically advanced countries. The Magras and Xenos mouse study of 1997 tells a foreboding story. Twelve mice were placed in a microwave antenna park, six each in two locations. One group was placed in an area of high exposure and six in an area of low exposure. The high exposure group became irreversibly sterile after two litters and the low exposure mice after four litters. This exposure was well within current safety guidelines.
These are some staggering findings with even more staggering predictions. Humanity Upgrade will be following these issues closely and rigorously. We will be focusing on what the data shows and how we can protect ourselves as well as counteract the effects. Special thanks to Dr. Pall for his work which is reflected throughout the content of this article.